As a consumer, you hold a lot of power. You don’t have to be a farmer to transform our food system—you just have to eat, shop, and advocate consciously. Rodale Institute’s Being a Regenerative Consumer course is here to teach you, the consumer, how you can heal people and the planet from your very own home.
This on-demand, online course was designed for anyone interested in learning more about what organic means, why soil matters, and how you can make a difference in the health of your family and the planet.
In this course, you’ll engage with Rodale Institute’s expert staff on topics like regenerative organic farming practices, nutrition and pesticides, healthy soil and climate change, and much more in an easy to understand, digestible format. If you’ve ever wondered if you should start buying organic, what organic certification means, or other positive actions you can take at home, Rodale Institute is here to help.
This course is for:
- Eco-conscious consumers interested in learning more about our food system and how to have a positive impact
- Professionals, policymakers, journalists, and others seeking ways to communicate about regenerative organic farming
- Individuals curious about whether organic food is the right choice for them and its impact on their health
- Organic farmers looking for ways to market to consumers
- Anyone at all!
In this course, you will:
- Discover the differences between organic, regenerative, and regenerative organic farming & learn how to find these products at the store
- Learn more about healthy soil, the farming practices that build it, and why it matters
- Understand the impact that buying, eating, and supporting regenerative organic can have on your health, your community, and our planet
- Go beyond the plate to identify regenerative organic agriculture’s capacity for fighting the climate crisis, increasing food access, improving water quality, and more
- Learn how to make a difference yourself with 5 concrete action steps
Meet your Course Instructors
Yichao Rui, Ph.D., Director
Farming Systems Trial
Yichao is a soil scientist with a focus on improving soil health and environmental quality in agricultural systems through regenerative practices. Yichao oversees the Farming Systems Trial, in addition to supporting other projects at Rodale Institute. Yichao holds a B.S. in Biology from Nankai University and Ph.D. degrees in Microbial Ecology and Soil Science from the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences and Griffith University.
Scott Stoll, MD
The Plantrician Project
Dr. Stoll is the co-founder of The Plantrician Project, The International Plant Based Nutrition Healthcare Conference, The International Journal of Disease Reversal and Prevention, and the Regenerative Health Institute, a unique collaborative project with the Rodale Institute that integrates a regenerative vision for human health, agriculture, and the environment. He is a member of the Google FoodLab, serves on the advisory board at Whole Foods for their healthcare clinics and served as a member of the Whole Foods Scientific and Medical Advisory Board. Dr. Stoll is the Chairman of the board for The Plantrician Project.
Consulting Program Manager
Emily is responsible for all program activities developed to assist farmers across the United States with their transition to organic and regenerative organic agricultural practices and help to bring them in compliance with USDA-NOP regulations and processes. Emily obtained her B.S. in Environmental Resource Management from Penn State University, is a Certified Crop Advisor and IOIA Certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course is a completely self-paced online course — you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like — across any and all devices you own.
Will I get a grade/credit or certificate?
No grades/credits will be given in this course, but you you can ask for a Certificate of Completion once you finish all the lessons. Follow directions from the "Before you Start" section to contact us.
What if I have questions or need help?
If you have any issues with your purchase, please contact us and we will do our best to help.